Sunday, July 02, 2017

Germany, you have stolen my heart, and I miss you already

I cannot fathom that this the last week of the trip. I am in no way ready to leave this amazing country or these wonderful people. That being said, here goes the final week in Berlin.
              We ended up getting to Berlin late because we had missed our train connection (classic), so there was minimal time for lunch. I was super hungry though. As we walked down the hall, I began to smell the sweet, sweet smells of American sandwiches. I knew it had to be none other than Subway, and indeed it was. I’m not sure if it’s just because I was really hungry, but that sandwich was one of the most satisfying things I’ve eaten in the past few weeks. I was probably just starving. Either way, it was an excellent start to my stay in Berlin. After arriving, we scurried off to the hotel and then headed to our bike tour. Getting to the hotel was interesting because we took public transportation, which means stairs, and I had my two suitcases. The small one wasn’t heavy, but the big one was about as big as me and weighed upwards of 60 pounds. I had it under control going downstairs, and then the dreaded time came to go up the stairs after getting off the S-Bahn. Gabe offered to take one, and of course me being the stubborn person I am, I gave him my small suitcase because I was determined to get that sucker up the stairs. I quickly realized I had made a massive mistake. I was struggling hard core, and I could feel all these eyes on me because I was at the back of the pack, so everyone was waiting for me. I was doing alright until I looked up and saw Jules dying laughing at me, and at that point, it went downhill fast. Almost quite literally downhill because I almost fell. I started dying laughing, and I lost all control of my muscles. I noodled. And I noodled bad. Like real bad. So Jules comes down to come help me, but then we’re both laughing, so nothing was getting accomplished. Eventually, she got the suitcase up the stairs and we recovered, but that was probably in the top 5 funniest things to happen between Jules and I on the trip.
Our bike tour began in East Berlin near the most Cold War era building I have ever seen in my entire life. I mean, if there was a dictionary definition for “Cold War Architecture”, a picture of that tower would be there next to it. Our tour guide was a really cool guy. He knew a lot about the history of Germany, specifically Nazi Germany and Cold War Germany, both of which I find very interesting. He took us to go see Checkpoint Charlie and the remnants of the Berlin Wall. It’s astonishing to me that there was a wall of that size around the entire eastern part of the city. The lengths that they went to to keep people in East Germany were incredible. They did everything in their power to make sure that their people were entirely oppressed with no way to escape. That kind of dictatorship is hard to grasp. Although so is the dictatorship that was Nazi Germany.  Speaking of Nazi Germany, we got to go experience the memorial to the murdered Jews of Europe. I say experience because it’s not really something you are meant to see. The architect designed it to evoke an emotional response from you as you walk through the monument, and I think he achieved that. Walking through the rows and rows of square boulders, most of which tower over you, makes you feel somewhat claustrophobic, as if you’re stuck in a maze and there’s no way out. It was a very strange feeling, and definitely an uncomfortable one. This was the goal of the architect though. One of the other really interesting things we saw was where Hitler’s bunker was. He spent the last two weeks of his life in this bunker at the end of the war. The bunker is not necessarily there today anymore, at least it isn’t accessible, and his palace nearby was also completely destroyed. The area is full of apartment buildings today, and that is strange to me to have something so common on such historically significant ground. There’s a lot of conspiracy theories about whether he actually did kill himself in the bunker or whether he made it out and escaped to South America or something crazy. I think it’s pretty clear he did die in that bunker, and he did not make it out alive. Thank goodness. Just being in Berlin gave me a very weird feeling knowing that it was such a prominent place in the history of the world, for not one, but many reasons. I was initially nervous about the bike tour, but it ended up being really fun and it was probably the best way to see so many parts of the city. After the tour, the fam bam (Carter, Gabe, Hailey, Alana, Jules, and Emily) went to eat at Vapiano and then had some gelato at Alexanderplatz. I have to say, it didn’t top Munich or Vienna, but it was definitely a close third. Sadly, I did not get to have this delicious gelato again before I left Germany…oh well.
              On Wednesday morning, we took a trip out to Oranienburg to see the concentration camp at Sachsenhausen. I was interested to see this camp after already having visited Dachau a month prior. To my surprise, there seemed to be quite a few differences between them. The layout of the camps were completely different. The layout at Sachsenhausen eliminated any private space. The circular orientation provided a view of the prisoners from every angle, every row, and every corner. I imagine you would have felt like you were being watched constantly, which I’m sure you probably were. This camp was also interesting because you could see elements that had been altered from the Cold War era since it was used then as well. Another big difference is that Sachsenhausen executed thousands of Soviet soldiers during WWII. They would pretend as if they were giving them a medical exam and then would shoot them in the back of the neck through a hole in the wall. I think it’s awful that they couldn’t even look them in the eye and kill them. They chose to hide behind a wall and shoot them in the back. It was sickening. Unfortunately, Sachsenhausen was not as well preserved in my opinion as Dachau was. There was not much left of the crematorium or the areas where the executions were carried out. For this reason, I personally found Dachau to be a more impactful experience, just because you were able to walk through the crematorium and the gas chambers and see pictures on the walls of the dead bodies that were found inside the rooms when the Americans liberated the camp. You could somewhat begin to imagine the horrors that occurred because it was all still there the way it was during the war. Dachau seemed much bigger to me as well. I don’t know if that’s because of the layout or if it was actually bigger. I’m still really glad we got to go experience it though because I think it’s important to acknowledge the past. We spent most of the day there and ended up getting to lunch much later than expected. We ate at this potato restaurant. Pretty much everything was made of potatoes or had potatoes in it. The potatoes were pretty darn good and so were my sausages. After lunch/dinner (linner), Carter had decided that he really was in fact going to dye his hair. This kid had been talking about this since the week we first got to Europe, and I don’t think any of us had initially taken him seriously, but we highly underestimated him. Hailey had offered to do the honors, so we went and bought the dye and dyed his hair bleach blonde. It was a three step process, and at first, I have to say I was very concerned. After the first round, it was literally yellow/orange. It was so bad. SO BAD. We started to wash the dye out the first time and Jules and I had to excuse ourselves from the room because we hit the floor laughing. Neither of us could get up we were laughing so hard. Poor Carter was just sitting there, and he could tell from my face I didn’t think it was good. Luckily, we fixed it after another box of dye and all was well. I have to say, I thought he was nuts, full on psycho, for doing that, but after a few days he really started to pull it off. Therefore, hats off to you Carter for doing something crazy in Eurp. You are braver than I. We intended to write our papers that night, but alas, that did not happen for all of us. I did finish my paper, luckily. We had fun though, regardless!
              Thursday, we went to visit the Alchemie exhibit at an art museum. This exhibit was quite interesting because it merged very old things with quite modern pieces of art, and it was actually all a private collection. There were some really old eastern artifacts related to alchemy that were very cool. Specifically, there was a scroll that was very old in one of the main cases on the lower floor, and it was really cool. There was also a really long, really cool video of a Rube Goldberg machine that someone created. It was definitely the most fascinating and elaborate Rube Goldberg I’ve ever seen in my life. You would have had to peel me away from the tv because I was so intrigued. After visiting the exhibit, we had lunch at Vapiano again, because why not. Also, it’s so good and easy. We then had a visit at the Otto Bock institute. This group specializes in creating prosthetic limbs, so we had a guided tour of the facility. Unlike most other places we go, this was not a museum but an exhibition, so there were lots of interactive activities and things to do. One of the really interesting ones was a balance test that tried to portray to someone what it’s like to walk with a prosthetic leg for the first time. The simulation had you walk across a small beam while changing to visual scenery. You were supposed to look down to get the full effect. I was surprised how difficult it actually was if you participate correctly. I had watched lots of other people do it and thought I would do super well, but in fact, I almost fell twice. After this, we trekked back to the hotel, through the pouring rain, and everyone went to finish up their papers before the Blink 182 concert. I had bought a ticket for this concert, mainly because everyone else had…I don’t know any of their songs, so basically peer pressure got me. The closer it got to the concert, with the weather, and the gloom and doom, and the sleep deprivation, the less and less I actually wanted to go. Ultimately, I ended up bailing and gave my ticket to Henning, so everything worked out. I was able to go meet some of the other peeps at an Indian restaurant. I had never had Indian food before, so Alana ordered something for me, and it was so good!!!! The naan was so freaking good. I would devour those things like tortillas from Alamo Café if I could. Then I went back to the hotel and watched The Matrix, while listening to it pour rain outside with the windows open. Basically I had a freaking amazing night, and while I’m glad everyone else had a good time at the concert, I 100% do not regret skipping it. Shout out to Jules for convincing me it was okay to not go. You are the real MVP.
              Friday morning, Hailey and I woke up and realized it was our last day. This was a really weird feeling, knowing that it was the last day we’d all be together in Germany. We got to sleep in, which was super nice. We started the day off with a lecture and then went to visit a museum of the history of medicine near the Hauptbahnhof. This was really cool because they had a huge collection of human specimens. It’s always interesting to see human specimens because it’s one thing to see a picture or a model, but to see the real thing is always more interesting. I think it’s easier to learn from that as well. After this, we got to tour the Charite medical school with a student from the school. This visit was kind of fun because at one point, he showed us their simulation room for emergency medicine, and they had a dummy in there. Hailey, Alana, and I were then tasked with performing CPR and defibrillating the dummy. Hailey broke a sweat doing compressions for quite a while, and Alana was killing it with those ventilations. I was the lucky one who got to shock him. I’m pretty sure our work saved his life even though Gabe later received credit for it. It’s fine though. We weren’t bitter at all. Once the tour was over, everyone headed back to the hotel to change for the farewell dinner. The dinner was at a Moroccan restaurant, and it was so good! We had lamb, cous cous, and chicken. The lamb was my favorite because it was just so well cooked and had such a rich flavor. The dinner was a really good way to end the trip, having all of us together in one place for the last time. It was very bittersweet. The fam bam went back to the hotel that night and no one slept. We watched kid’s movies all night trying to prolong the inevitable. Spirit was first and then Shrek. They were both just as good as I remembered them. To me, it was the perfect end to an amazing trip. I cannot put into words how much I am going to miss this place and those people. I know we’ll see each other in College Station, but we won’t ever be in Europe all together again, and that makes me sad. I will forever cherish the memories I made with all these people on this trip.

              The next morning, I did not want to leave to go get on a plane. My flight from Berlin ended up getting delayed three and a half hours, but luckily I had a seven hour layover so it didn’t matter. My flight back to San Antonio also got delayed because of weather, so I got home an hour later than expected. I was exhausted by the time I got home. Even now that I’m back with my friends and family, I still really miss Germany. I think probably will miss it for the next few weeks while I adjust back to America. I also miss my peeps a lot. Hopefully I will see them soon though. Thanks for the memories Germany. You have forever changed me and I am so thankful.

No comments: