Saturday, August 09, 2008

THAT Just Happened: German Antics and Things I'll Miss.

It astounds me that I am still surprised/taken aback by some of the purely European culture.  You'd think after being here for 5 weeks my American ways would have dimmed, but no, I still get the feeling that I'm seeing something I shouldn't when I see people blatently making out on the subway...or worse.  I still turn my head when I see a woman in her 60's or older with bright red or purple hair.  I am still in awe of the German countryside.  I am going to miss all the German people who have been unfailingly helpful, but I will welcome the background noise of people's conversations in America.  More than once we were scolded (by faculty and fellow travelers alike) for being too loud and rambunctious.  Given, we were doing nothing that would be out of the ordinary or overly obnoxious in Texas, but the Germans are quiet travelers, so getting 15 excited American's together didn't fair well in their minds.  I will miss the Germans need for order; you'll probably find me standing and waiting at a deserted street corner if the lights instruct me that it is not a good time to cross.  I will miss their tiny European cars that they like to park on the sidewalks and their fast driving...but I'm totally ready to be surrounded by big, loud, half-ton pick-up trucks again.  The German food is AMAZING (definitely not the continuous flow of bratwurst and saurkraut I was imagining) and unless I find a way to make it, I will miss that too.  I wish we as Americans could introduce the water and energy conservation system they have in place here.  I want the motion detector lights in buildings and toilets that have varying ranges of flush loads.  I will not miss bread for breakfast everyday.  It was nice in the beginning, but then it got a bit redundant--bread, salami, cheese, jam, and Nutella...but I will never get sick of Nutella.  I'm looking forward to bacon, eggs, and pancakes...or at least a cold glass of milk.  I am going to miss ice cream on every street corner and johanisbeere juice, but I think most, I'll miss the fact that the Germans take their dogs EVERYWHERE with them! I want to be able to do that at home!!!  I am happy to leave cobblestone sidewalks and streets behind me, but I will miss the bike lane and the ease of eco-friendly transportation.  I am inspired to get a bike and a little bell in the states, but I know I would hardly use them due to the lack of bike lanes (or respect for them) at home.  All in all, Deutchland is an amazing place that I definitely plan on coming back to.  For now, I'm ready to go back home for awhile, but I will take experiences of the culture and lessons learned here to hopefully apply to my somewhat stereotypical American life.  Tschuess!

No comments: