Sunday, August 10, 2008

Coming Home

Leaving Germany was hard, but not as hard as it could have been, perhaps. After five weeks there, seeing all of the sights and enjoying so much of what Europe has to offer in as intense of manner as we did, I think we were all pretty tired and ready to return home to Texas (or wherever else we call home). I know I was. Still, I'll miss Germany a lot--I already am, even.

Coming home was surreal--walking out of the airport terminal into the summer heat was a shock to my system, and I realized then that I was still wearing the jacket I had needed in Germany that morning. To see all of the SUVs and trucks again on the road, the familiar but now strange looking American street signs, and the complete and utter lack of SmartCars on the road on the way home was a strange sensation.

Of course, the first thing my parents and I did on the way home was stop at my favorite Mexican restaurant for a late lunch, compensating for the lackluster fare on the airplane. As I enjoyed my fajita nachos, I took advantage of the free refills that I had missed so much to down gallons of Dr. Pepper. There are some areas where Germany just doesn't compete.

And now I've passed out the majority of the gifts to my family, and need only to go get my wine from Amanda. Returning to my underage status is a little annoying now--Germany certainly has the advantage in some areas. But now, it is time to recuperate from my transatlantic flight and try and de-jetlag myself.

No comments: