Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My last day in Germany

For the whole last week of the trip, I debated what I wanted to do on the last day of the trip. My options were to travel from Berlin to Wittenberg (the City of Martin Luther), travel to Potsdam, or stay in Berlin and see more of the sites. The night before I decided to go to Wittenberg. I thought that since I am Protestant, Wittenberg would be interesting to me. On the last day, after we finished at the medical museum in Berlin, I took a 45 minute train to Wittenberg. When I arrived, I noticed that the town was not very big. This was contrary to what I thought, because I had thought that since the town was somewhat historically significant, it would be a decent size. The town had a very laid back small town feel, which was exactly what I needed to relax from the intensity of the previous 5 weeks. I was able to see Martin Luther's house, the university he attended, and the church he nailed the 95 Thesis to. I really enjoyed the day and found it very interesting. I left fulfilled in a way, because I was able to see things that I had herd about my whole life. That night when I got back to Berlin, I met up with the group and we went out for the last dinner. The food was great, and I really enjoyed the final German farewell!

No comments: