Monday, August 04, 2008

Rhine Excursion

So I have gotten a little behing in blogging with all of the adventures going on, so time to catch up. Last week we went on a Rhine Excursion! It was an amazing day! I was a little bummed out it rained during our boat ride, but it was nice to just sit and relax. And it was still beautiful outside. I love the countryside here. Then we toured Stolsenfels Castle. It was on the small scale for castles, but it was still really neat! I loved the room with all the suits of armor and weapons. I had not seen anything yet from the medieval times. It was also very intersting to learn of the contributions the owners had made to the construction of the Cologne Cathedral, having already toured it. The sugar model was an incredible replica. After we went to Ahrweiler Winzerverein for winetasting. That was by far my favorite part of the day! I had never been to a winetasting, and I loved it! Going down into the cellar where all the wine was kept was really neat, and getting to learn more about wine (especially since I pretty much know nothing about it) was a lot of fun. I actually really liked the medium red wine, which is a first for me. I generally only like the whites. I bought some more wine to take home. I'm really hoping all the bottles make it back okay. The food at the winetasting was really good too! The lady was very helpful in teaching us about winetasting in general. It was nice to learn something a little different than medicine or history. Overall, it was a wonderful day!

No comments: