Sunday, August 03, 2008

The Last Weekend

Before I begin let me say, Jon and I are not boring people. We like to go out every now and then and have a little fun. However for this our long and final weekend of the trip, we choose to play is cool and have a chilled weekend in Dusseldorf. So much traveling around the country on buses and trains will make a person dread going anywhere and when program fees aren’t paying for hotel rooms, they get rather expensive. Plus we had heard of some fun things happening in Dusseldorf during this weekend.
So because of the long weekend, we had Friday free and we decided to hit up the beer fest in town. This place was awesome; maybe a little bit too awesome. Beer stand after beer stand from across the country lined the street and people were flocking to the scene by the train load. After closing down the beer fest, we hit up Aldstadt. Finally we all got tired and decided to head home. Now it was late and many trains had stopped running. So I took the advice of a local guy and got on what I thought was the right train. Several stops later and almost out of Dusseldorf I was advised by another local guy to get off the train and take another one back to the main station. After some deep late night thought, I made the decision to walk home from where I got off the train. 1 and a half hours later and 4:30 in the morning I made it home. My lesson: do not take trains you do not know where they go, and do not decide to walk home if you do not know where you are. That’s all I have to say about that.
After sleeping in on Saturday morning, Jon and I hit up the local wine festival in town. Jon informed the wine was good, however my stomach and liver choose not to partake. The rest of the weekend was spent pretty chill walking around Dusseldorf and eating like kings at our host family’s house. You know, that’s how we roll.
Jordan “Juice”

No comments: