Saturday, August 02, 2008

It's my Prague-ative

This weekend we took a night train to Prague. It was undoubtedly one of the best experiences of my life. I felt almost like camping, only there were strangers in my tent. I wasn't really affected by the horror stories, and I had friends in my car, so I could focus on the trip and not worry so much about the shady middle-aged man above me. In a previous time I would have been very uncomfortable in such confined spaces with so many people, but this trip has helped me tremendously in that regard. Now I relish the opportunity to meet new and interesting people.

This weekend we made a new friend from Canada and spent the weekend sightseeing with her. She's been backpacking across Europe for a few months now and had arrived in prague before us so she showed us around. She's actually going to Berlin next week just when we are so we made plans to meet up again. I haven't been making any long term friends on my trip this far, so I'm excited to see her again. Her confidence that allows her to spend 3 months alone in foreign countries was inspiring. I hope to do something similar in my lifetime. I should have a year of free time between undergraduate and whatever else I do, so we'll see what happens.

No comments: