Sunday, August 03, 2008

Favorite Week Yet

So this week started off kinda slowly. The Federal Ministry of Food, Agriculture, and Consumer Protection wasn't very interesting to me. That could have just been me, but I had a hard time getting into the conversation. Talking about policies and rules for the food industry just didn't do it for me I guess.

But then Tuesday it picked up quite a bit! That was our Rhine Tour on the boat and then wine tasting. And let me tell you, that was a great day. It was raining, but not that badly really, so I just stood out on the deck (being emo according to Allen....) and watched the little towns go by. There was lightning going on just over the hill so every once in a while I would get to see lightning over the hills with vineyards covering them, and the river... it was gorgeous. Then we went to our wine tasting, which was awesome as always. It was a really nice place we went to. And the wine was really good. So that was a good day.

Wednesday was class and working on our paper all day, so nothing to really write home about. It was an interesting conversation during the class though dealing with ethics. It's interesting to hear different people's take on different situations and how different some people are from my own opinions.

Thursday we went to Bad Oeynehausen to the Heart and Diabetes Center which was amazing. Sharon and I were in a mitral valve replacement, and got to see pretty much all of it. We walked in while they were still getting the woman preped. So we got to see them crack the chest, which was amazing. I've never seen that before, so it was awesome. (That sounds sick when I write that... I guess I know I'm in the right field. Also because both Sharon and I were starving during the surgery and could have easily eaten something while watching...) But it was awesome to see them crack the chest, and then they got to the heart. They put her on bipass and replaced the valve. We had to leave as they had just finished putting the valve in and were getting ready to sew up the heart and take the woman off bipass. It really was awesome. It will be something I will remember for the rest of my life. Seeing an open heart surgery in Germany... how many people get to have that experience?

This weekend we (Sharon, Peter, Allen and I) went to a tiny town on the Mosel river in the wine country. It was a lot of fun and very relaxing, which is exactly what we wanted. There is a funny story, but I feel that Allen and Peter can do it so much more justice than I can, so I will let them tell it. But we got to see fireworks over the vineyards after a wine festival in the next town and we swam in the river... and napped... a lot. it was perfect.

I can't believe it's almost over though! Tomorrow starts our last week of the class! It's crazy to think I have only about 8-9 days left here and I started with more than 40!!! I have no idea where the time went, all I know is it's been a blast. I have a bitter sweet feeling about going home. I miss my family and friends, but I have had such an amazing time here and I'm not sure if I really want that to be over. It will be interesting to go back home, back into that culture.

No comments: