Friday, August 01, 2008

operating room!

In my opinion, the visit to the heart and diabetes center in Bad Oeynhausen was far and away the best field trip we have taken thus far. I absolutely love being in the operating room and can't think of a better way to spend my day. I had the opportunity to observe a heart surgery on a nine year old girl with a rare heart defect. I have observed many surgeries in the past but never such an extensive surgery on a such a young child. I was afraid that this might be more difficult to seperate my emotions in this situation, but I was thankful to see it was no difference in this sense. I found it slightly frustrating at times when I did not understand what the surgeon was doing or what I was looking at, and was desperately wishing i spoke deutsch. I cannot wait until I am further into my medical studies and will be able to know exactly what I am observing in surgeries.
I also enjoyed observing patients from the transplant floor. After watching my dad recover from open heart surgery this past summer, I was amazed at the condition of the patient who had recieved a new heart less than 48 hours before. I am constantly amazed at the medical technology and knowledge we have available to us. This hospital seemed like a wonderful place to work. I would have enjoyed seeing some of the work they did with the diabetes patients as well.
Thats all for now... I am off to a beer festival!

No comments: