Monday, August 04, 2008

Final Days in D-stadt

I began to pack last night, but couldn't finish because I was just making myself feel sad. I've still got a week in Germany but it feels like just a matter of hours before I'm taken back home. I say taken because if I had the money and time to spare, I would stay. I think just about everybody loves visiting Europe, but I feel compelled to stay. The U.S. is great, but there's something about the history you can find around EVERY corner here that keeps me forever interested.

I also feel like a better world citizen over here. I don't think it's necessarily America's fault for being so detached. We're only really bordering two other countries, and the cultures that most resemble ours are an ocean away; I guess most places in general are. I've been watching a little of the German news which I hardly understand. It's remarkably identical in style and format to ours back home. The difference is that when things are happening in other countries, many of them are just a train ride away. I've been away from news outlets over here just because I'm busy, but I still feel more connected, and I like it.

No comments: