Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Viva Vienna

Honestly, I wish we had more time in Vienna. What a cool city. Vienna is a place with so many different facades, rich in both science and arts.

Our first full day in Vienna gave us the opportunity to experience both of these aspects. As we took the medical history walk, it was interesting to see where famous physicians lived and how the plague really affected this small but important town. Later that afternoon, we had the opportunity to visit St. Michael's church and visit its catacombs. St. Michael's showed the beauty of Vienna and the vital aspect of detail in art, as shown by the walls and the altar of the church. Visiting the catacombs for me was slightly eerie. Seeing the mummies was a very creepy experience and it was quite overwhelming to see a person who died almost 300 years prior. For me, I know when I am 300 years deceased I want to be in the ground somewhere where no one can stick a flashlight in my skull!

Going to Pfizer was one of the best opportunities that I have had in my life to explore career options. I enjoyed the variety of jobs in that field as well as plan to look into working in pharmaceutical sales for a company similar to Pfizer. It was a great way to expand my knowledge of the potential of my major and I have a new option for a career path.

The Josephnium was an interesting experience as well to see the transition of the way medical practice is taught from the 18th century to the time being. A lot has changed between new developments and research, but basic knowledge still remains the same.

I couldn't have asked for a better trip with better people. What a cool experience at 21 years of age to go explore 3 different countries and 7 different cities, learning about both their scientific history and medical history all in 17 days. I am so thankful for the opportunity, but I am also so happy to not pay for the bathroom, get ice in my drink, and have free refills and free water :)

No comments: