Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Oh, Vienna..

Sometimes I had to recall and tell myself that we were in Vienna! From what we saw, there was not much a difference between the culture of Austria and Germany. For one, language was the same, and so was our method of transportation.

And to repeat the common theme in my other blogs - it always amazes me how much history these cities contain. Just by going into the churches and realizing that most are over 500 years old is astonishing, and that is only a few - most are much older. Going to the catacombs in the St. Michael church was breathtaking. I literally felt like I was taking the place of Robert Langdon and Bones just by exploring what was beneath the church (and now I know why so many great novels come from these types of cities). Now my favorite historic part of Vienna was definitely the Sigmund Freud House! As a double biology and psychology major, seeing the home and the practice of the founder of psychoanalysis was SO DAMN COOL. I don't know how else to put it. I'm so jealous that so many great scientists come from this region.

The classical concert was definitely an experience - not only had I never been to one, but the fact that it was in a beautiful church added to the experience. This was one of those events that really made me feel as if I had been immersed into the culture. From my understanding, you cannot find classical concerts that easily in Texas. And I shouldn't forget to mention that the most interesting part was how all the pieces that were composed and originally performed were by composers who were either Austrian or resided in Austria for most of their time being. It was like listening into the past.

Pfizer. One word that has officially opened my eyes and my options. Growing up, I've really only known two careers - engineering or medicine. But from my understand, Pfizer can provide unique opportunities for those who do not solely want to become physicians, but who want to be in the medical field in another way. Finally, I can look towards something else that doesn't require myself signing away my life in blood (eh - that's an exaggeration, but the point is made). I love medicine and science, and it's just another opportunity that has opened more doors for my future.

The farewell dinner was so bittersweet. This trip exhausted me, and I was ready to go home to free refills and Texas, but leaving somewhere that essentially changed me and allowed me to look at things from a different perspective was difficult. Without a doubt, Germany and Austria will see me again. And who knows? It might even be within the next few months.

#BabyGotBack #10minutes #LiesByOlaf #Schnell

Just for keeping the memories alive! :)

No comments: