Tuesday, January 07, 2014

A Quick Hallo from Hannover

   Hallo! We only got one and a half days in Hannover, so this will be a petit post! I found Hannover charming yet busy; the romantic architecture of the apartments surrounding our hotel as well as the general lack of urban noise makes the city similar to Bonn. Yet, like Bonn, Hannover is well connected by its metro system and contains a quality medical school/hospital (we visited each!). I really enjoyed spending time in the nephrology and cardiovascular departments. In both cases, we were able to have a Q & A with one of the doctors and kind of explore the corresponding hospital wing. 
   We also had a longer lunch break between these excursions. I was pleased to be able to sit down with some fellow Aggies at a little cafe inside the train station and just enjoy the beautiful day! I have decided German cappuccinos are made with some kind of addictive drug because I seem to need one at least once a day. Coffee is given the attention it deserves in Germany, and that's all I'm going to say about that!
   Tomorrow we travel to Vienna via plane. It occurs to me that just under two weeks I have visited six European cities, and in less than one week I will be back in College Station, waking myself up for CHEM lab. Time is moving so quickly, I'm having a wonderful time, and I'm learning so much, but at the same time I am beginning to really feel homesick. It's so difficult to be separated from family and my boyfriend for a long period of time, and by such a long distance. Never in my life have I been this far from home...
   On the one hand, I am so grateful for this incredible experience. Traveling to Europe is the bravest thing I've ever done. On the other hand, home is where my loved ones are, and I am beginning to count the days until I can come home.

No comments: