Sunday, January 05, 2014

Bouncin' around Berlin

Berlin. How to describe Berlin. I would say Berlin is filled with so many different types of people: people from all over the world speaking multitudes of languages.

The first thing we did in Berlin was attend the "Fest Mile" on New Years Eve.  Berlin is one of the top four places to bring in the New Year and I was so excited to be apart of it.  The best part of the night was meeting people from different countries. It was exciting and intriguing to see not only Germans, but Americans, Chinese, French, Spanish, Brazilians, Canadians, Finnish, and all other people celebrate the New Year. I even pulled out some of my old Spanish knowledge to communicate as best as I could with some people from Brazil.  My favorite part of the night was walking back to the city tram station on the streets. People were blowing fireworks and having the time of their lives. It got me thinking how often I want to stick my head in the sand when school and life get hard. Why not enjoy it? Why not turn trouble into triumph? We only get this one day, this one time, so let's celebrate every day, not just the New Year.

The tour of Berlin with Sion and the concentration camp were also interesting. It was cool to see the sites that pertain to so much of old history classes. We hear the same old song and dance about the Nazis and the Berlin Wall, but it was neat to see the real time and the real place where these history changing events occurred. Seeing the actual places made history in a sense come alive.

Now, it's off the Prague for the free weekend!! Can't wait to see what the Czechs have got goin' for them!

No comments: