Saturday, January 11, 2014

Vienna


For the past few days, we have been in Vienna, and one difference to our time in Germany was that we have had quite a bit of free time to wander the city.  Austria has been my favorite place to visit so far mostly because I got to visit the Spanish Riding School of Vienna during our free time.  However, our trip to Pfizer was the most memorable educational experience in Austria.
            Pfizer is a pharmaceutical company that has branches all over the world.  Besides describing what they do as a company, the representatives described how the Austrian health care system works.  I think the most beneficial thing I have gleaned from the trip is a better understanding of different health care systems.  Additionally, the Pfizer representatives described how drugs go from beginning stages, to clinical trials, to on the market, as well as the role medical doctors can play in pharmaceutical companies.
            I had a very basic view of the job opportunities open to M.Ds.  I never thought about a place for doctors in the corporate world, but there are many more job opportunities than just clinical or hospital settings.  The presentation at Pfizer presented prospects that I thought would be unavailable, and I am excited to explore them in the coming years. 

No comments: