Thursday, January 02, 2014

Culture Shock

Coming from Bonn to Berlin was most definitely a culture shock. You went from semi-traditional to modern in the blink of an eye. Again, one common theme popping up in every city has been history. I understand how influential history is to a country, but I feel as if the impact in the Germany is even greater than in others. One reason for this could simply be because both WWI and WWII seem like they were apart of a different lifetime than what I am used to. In reality, both wars were just around the corner. The city tour of Berlin really put my mind into perspective. Putting my feet on either side of where the Berlin Wall used to be was a feeling that I don't think I could ever forget, knowing that that wall changed so many lives.

After visiting Dresden today, I realized how although Germany is a unified country, the west and the east still view each other differently and have been taught separate things. By its architecture, Dresden is by far the most beautiful city I've seen so far (although Köln comes in a close second). One of the most interesting things I picked up on this day trip was how much of the population consider themselves atheists/agnostics. And to be a little bit geeky, the Museum of Hygiene was my favorite excursion of the day - maybe it's because I could apply education to real life or because I actually understood the material more than anything! The best part of my day, however, was rapping Baby Got Back with Dr. Wasser on the train ride back. If I will remember anything from this trip, there is a possibility it will be that!

And now to back track to New Years Eve! BEST EXPERIENCE EVER. How many people can say they've been to the Brandenburg Bridge? A lot of people, because that's how many there were. According to my family who watched it on TV, the reported population that night was around 1 million people. WHAT! I thought Kyle Field was huge! Experiencing the aftermath of New Years in the streets was a whole other story. Navigating our way through Berlin and seeing how many people raided the streets with alcohol and fireworks was astonishing. Why? Because you don't see that in the US. Props to Germany though for keeping it classy and still making me feel safe, and not to mention how well they cleaned up the city afterwards.

The free weekend is almost here!

No comments: