Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Wait we leave tomorrow?

Sitting down now to write this post next to my half packed bag, I admit my preparations for this trip may be a little last minute. But between getting home from school, Christmas shopping, and getting my wisdom teeth removed, these last couple weeks have be hectic. Really this whole semester the idea of this trip never had time to sink in... For the first time in my life I will be traveling overseas!The idea still seems surreal to me.

Although I have trouble wrapping my head around it, I couldn't be more excited for this opportunity. Not counting a week my family spent in Mexico for vacation, I have never been outside of the U.S. With that being said, my family is currently hosting a couple visiting from the Ukraine. So although I lack experience abroad myself, I have been able to get a little cultural flavor right here at home. We even added a couple Ukrainian traditions to our Christmas! Meeting these lovely people and learning a little about their traditions has already given me a sneak peek to what being immersed in a culture completely different than ours will be like. I'm even more excited now, if that's even possible.

As well as experiencing new cultures and visiting new countries, I am excited to learn some history in such a great environment. We won't just be learning about medical history, we will be visiting universities, training centers and museums. It will also be interesting exploring countries with so much world history.

So while I may still be packing, I couldn't be more ready to experience as much as I possibly can. Bis bald Germany!

No comments: