Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Bonn

There are definitely certain things that I remember from my first trip to Germany, but somehow paying for water and the bathroom seem to have eluded me for the past seven years.  It's strange since I always drink so much water with meals and never even think twice about a refill because it's free--so I am thankful that I remembered to bring a water bottle and that the tap water is safe to drink!

I'll admit I was fairly worried about observing a surgery from within the operating theatre at the University clinics since human blood tends to make me a bit woozy.  I'm not sure why, but for some reason I react completely different to seeing animal vs human blood and was sure I'd hit the floor and embarrass myself so I was extremely surprised (and maybe a little proud of myself) when I wasn't ever overcome with the feeling that I needed to sit down or back away.  Observing coronary heart surgery was easily one of the neatest experiences I've ever had and honestly the doctor's inclusion of us and hands on teaching had me convincing myself that'd I'd really enjoy and do well in medical school.

In regards to my german language skills, I am trying to read and understand as much as possible but am still hesitant to talk.  I'll order in german and talk to the waiter, but perhaps a lack of extensive vocabulary keeps me from engaging in more conversation.  I know that two and half weeks is not near enough time to significantly improve my speaking, but I do a least hope to learn a little more and become more confident trying.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is by Meghan Wanstrath! She wrote it on Savannah's computer!