Monday, December 30, 2013

Day 4


Although I was so excited for this trip, I admit I got a little nervous on the way over. Being alone on the flight, getting no sleep, and adjusting to the time change while trying to navigate through a foreign airport didn't make me feel any better. As cheesy as it sounds, all my anxiety melted away as soon as I saw Olaf's familiar face and seconds later met up with the rest of the group. Having such a great person to lead us around who knows the area and friends to talk to in English, and maybe a little German, was a relief. 

Now four days have already flown by and I still feel like we just got here yesterday. Until I start to think about everything we have already done! Staying in Bonn has been lovely. Exploring the town, enjoying some German food and traditional holiday drink, and even watching a traditional new year's eve movie was the perfect way to start the trip. Not to mention learning some more German history at the museum with possibly one of the best tour guides ever!

Our day trip to Cologne was just as fun and interesting. The cathedral was gorgeous and since we visited on Sunday we had the unique opportunity to actually go to mass in the cathedral. And we didn't let a little rain ruin a walking tour which included some interesting history about the city itself. Our tour of the Elde Haus was a very sobering change of pace that really made me, and I think everyone else, focus not only on the terrible events that occurred but how it affected each individual. 

I can't finish this post without mentioning our last day in Bonn today where I got to stand in on two orthopedic surgeries. That was the first for me! We also had the great experience of visiting the Museum of the History of Anaesthesia. It was a treat, especially knowing we might be the last group of the program to do it.

I have enjoyed so much from this trip already and it keeps getting better. Tomorrow, on to Berlin!

No comments: