Saturday, December 21, 2013

Deutschland, ich komme!

Well, where to begin! First off, the most important aspect of the "college life" that I have ever wanted to experience was to study abroad. And now that I think about it, it's not something most students do. 
This is a privilege and I am determined to make the best of it!

Germany has always had a very special place in my heart. My parents originated from Iran and I have a very strong cultural pride. However, they met in the airport in Frankfurt. Since my father was 5, he attended a German school in Iran, and later accomplished medical school in Tübingen. My mother, on the other hand, lived and worked in Munich as a computer scientist. Both of my father's younger brothers accomplished school and currently work in Germany (although one lives in Iran). Because of these family ties to this country, I have always wanted to explore Germany. 

Being Persian, I have learned the importance of culture and ethnicity. I am personally infatuated with traveling, and I hope to somehow incorporate it into my future career. A personal goal in my life is to be fluent in 5 languages. I have mastered 2 of 5 (Farsi and obviously English), and I hope that German can be the third, especially through this trip and my future trip to Germany this summer.  However, exploring Europe is a first for me. My family and I typically travel through Frankfurt to Iran, but that is to the extent of my "Europe experience". I am filled with excitement and longing for this adventure to hurry up and arrive. How many people get to say they had a course in the history of medicine, in the region where it most originated from? With this excitement, however, comes a bit of anxiety. Again, I have never immersed myself in a culture on my own, and I can't help to see how I grow from it! 

Deutschland, ich komme! 

No comments: