Saturday, December 14, 2013

Let the good times roll!!!

Looking back on this semester it has flown by, I feel like I signed up for this study abroad last week.  Over the last few weeks, I have slowly but surely been gathering everything for the next month.  It has actually been a lot harder then I thought it was going to be.  Unlike everyone else I leave on the 12th of December, so I need to pack for 5 weeks.  I will be spending Christmas with one of my very good friends are her family in Bergamo, Italy!! We will be skiing and partying, and having an all around good time!
I have always wanted to go on a study abroad not only to help me academically, but to also experience another culture for a time longer than 2 weeks.  This Study abroad is giving me a chance not only to further my medical education, but also give ming the chance to experience other cultures.  I will be able to experience Christmas in Italy and New Years in Germany!!! Not many people can say they have done this, and it is really exciting.  While I have been to 5 european countries, I am expecting that Germany will be a completely different.  I'm a little worried about the language barrier, but I think that most of the Germans will speak English.  I am also excited to be able to experience the party culture of both Italy and Germany.  Here in the US I am not legal, but there I will be; this will allow me the chance to find the beer that I will dunk my Aggie ring in when I get it in April!!!!
Over the next few days I will be finishing my last 5 finals, and then packing on Wednesday.  While it is an extremely stressful experience getting ready to leave, I know that when I finally get there on friday it will all have been worth it!
...
Day 1: I am finally in Germany!!!! Things were a lot more different then I though they were going to be while I was in Italy.  I was able to experience a different culture for a much longer time than I have ever before.  This time allowed me to not only learn the Italian quite a bit more than I have ever before, but now has me speaking Italian in Germany and not because I want to but because it has almost become habit.  While I was there I stayed with my friend and her family; living the "Italian way" has also changed my perspective on life because the "American way" is not the only way to do things.  For example an American Christmas is short and sweet, there is a lot of consumerism and not so much family, but in Italy it is completely different we ate a 5 hour meal and literally talked the entire time. There was not as much emphasis on presents as there was on family, which was completely different from what I have ever experienced and is something that I would like to bring back to my family next year.  Though there were many differences in the "Italian way" and the "American way", I wonder what the differences will be when comparing to the "German way". Until next time let the good times roll!!

No comments: