Saturday, December 21, 2013


Guten Morgen, Deutschland

   Since coming to college, I have been trying to break out of my comfort zone, to widen my horizons, and to just generally be a little braver. Studying abroad seemed like the most wonderful way to accomplish these feats, and I feel really blessed to be going on this incredible trip.  
   Having never traveled past Mexico, I cannot say I have many expectations about this journey. I've been gathering tidbits on German history and culture since I heard about this program, but I do feel as though I am quite unprepared. My college language studies are in French, and my German vocabulary currently consists of about 20 words... but I am determined to continue learning!
   I will feel very grateful if I am able to spend time conversing with German students, experiencing this unique culture, and soaking up all of the medical history. As a Texan, I've seen very little snow, so it would be wonderful to get to see more :) I've been 21 for a couple of months already, and I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I would like to try some German beer too, just for kicks. I am also very excited about spending New Year's in Berlin; it sounds fantastic!
   I am probably most concerned about the language barrier. I want to use German whenever possible, out of respect, but as I mentioned I do not have much in the way of German language skills. My general goal is to offend as few native Germans as possible, while representing Texas A&M, Texas, and more broadly America, honorably.                                   Secondarily, I am a little worried about homesickness. I am very close with my family, but I want to get the most out of this experience. I hope I can find a good balance there.
   All in all, I am so thrilled about this wonderful trip. Bonn voyage! :)

No comments: