Monday, December 23, 2013

Pre-Departure


We are now only two days away from departure to Europe, and I only get more excited as it draws nearer!  I am thrilled for our adventure to begin for several reasons.  For one, obviously, I look forward to exploring Europe.  My father is a pilot, and my family has been lucky enough to travel quite a bit throughout my life.  When I was ten, while in Germany, we climbed the steps of Der Kölner Dom in Köln and explored the Rhineland on bicycles (I don’t think I will repeat that particular experience during the winter, however).  Since then, I have always wanted to go back; because I was so young, I do not think I fully grasped the importance of that experience.    Having a greater appreciation for the culture differences and the historical value of the cities and sites we will be visiting, I think I will glean much more information from this trip. 
            Additionally, I love learning about different cultures and the histories I may never have experienced.  Specifically, I am looking forward to learning more about the Third Reich at Elde Haus.  I am very interested in World War II, but I have only ever studied WW II from the American perspective.  Also, during this trip, we often have a few hours to ourselves, or a free afternoon, and I am excited that we can tailor our free time to our specific interests.  For example, horseback riding is one of my favorite pastimes, and I hope to visit the Spanish Riding School in Vienna.
            Lastly, and most importantly, I am so looking forward to learning about the history of medicine in Europe, as well as gaining a better understanding of the European medical system.  I will be attending the UT Houston Medical School next August and appreciate the opportunity to expand my perspective of health care and widen my global view.  This particular study abroad gives us the opportunity to interact with medical professionals that we would likely not have had access to otherwise.
            I do not think I am really nervous about anything.  I am a fairly adventurous person, and since I have traveled to Europe without my parents before, I do not usually get homesick.  I suppose what I am worried about is once we get back to the United States.  I know we will all be suffering from jet lag, and since the semester begins the day after we get back, I am just hoping I will not be a zombie for class on Monday!
            Well, that’s all from me; Europe, here we come!

No comments: