Monday, December 30, 2013

Off to Berlin!



As our time comes to a close in Bonn, I'm disappointed that we are leaving so soon (even if it is for Berlin).  It seems strange that Bonn is technically a college town.  When Dr. Wasser mentioned it, I kind of pictured a city like College Station, but nothing is further from the truth.  In both Bonn and Koln, I love that there are older elements like churches and monuments that are hundreds of years old and fresh food markets in the square, as well as the modern elements. I especially enjoyed learning about the two thousand year old history preserved beneath Bonn and Koln.  I never considered the relationship between the Roman Empire’s and Germany’s history.  
I think the best part of the past few days has been walking through Koln (which is quite possibly my favorite city in Europe) and learning the history behind each element of the city.  We certainly covered a lot of ground; my pedometer said we hit almost 20,000 steps (about 10 miles)!  I only wish we could have stayed for a few extra days!
Now that we have seen what a smaller European city is like, it will be interesting to transfer to a city like Berlin.  I feel like culture shock is imminent with the New Year’s Eve party at the Brandenburg Gate tomorrow evening, but I’m excited to experience it!  

No comments: