Monday, December 23, 2013

Go Boldly

           My iPhone app reads “2 Days Left,” and although I have checked it eagerly since October, the number is inconceivable. I am incredibly thankful for this opportunity to study abroad and can only imagine what this trip will hold. I hope for growth in many aspects, including my knowledge of German culture and medical history. The realization that we begin our journey across the Atlantic so soon is incredibly exciting and I am ready to jump into the unknown.
            My bags are still empty and my German vocabulary consists of “nein.” In so many ways I feel unprepared and yet I am perfectly fine with it. Ordinary semesters are filled with stress and structure, all-nighters in the library and memorization of chemical structures. I am more than ready to take a step back from the traditional classroom setting and absorb knowledge through my own experiences. The museums and medical facilities we will be visiting will provide a new way of learning that is unfamiliar to me. The free time will allow us to explore our own interests and get to know our fellow Ags a little better.
            As we embark on this trip, I need to encourage myself to be open to anything Europe may offer. Whether that be eating sauerkraut with every meal or taking an impromptu trip to a local market, I hope to leave nothing unseen nor regret not taking that extra step. After all, what other time in our lives will we have to be young and in Europe?  

No comments: