Monday, December 30, 2013

First Few Days

Coming to Bonn, I didn't know what to expect.  I was so nervous on the plane, and I was worried about fitting in with not only 10 new friends, but also an entire country. How do they eat? How do they act? What do they order at a restaurant? How do they walk on the street? The littlest things that I wouldn't give a second thought to in America finally became so important.

Ordering my first sandwich in the Frankfurt airport is one of the most frightening things I have done in a while. Constant thoughts flowing through my head. Does she think I'm stupid because I can't speak German? Am I being rude? I hope I am not offending her. It's so hard to know the boundaries and customs in a country you have never been to.

As we travel around, taking city tours, visiting museums, and even eating in local restaurants around Bonn, I have learned three lessons. One, it is important to try everything. Try the language, try the food, try seeing life as how a local would and take a walk in his or her shoes. Two, ask questions. Life is different here, in customs and in actions. Learn about everything you can, from traditions to history to even something small as how boys talk to girls.  Everything is just slightly different, and its interesting to know. Three, don't be scared. Take a risk, take a chance. This is a once in a life time opportunity, so I might as well use the next twelve days to soak in everything I can and live this time to its fullest.

For now, its Bon Voyage to Berlin.
See you kids at the Brandenburg Gate for New Years!

No comments: