Friday, December 20, 2013

It feels like a dream...


I believe I can honestly say that my story is the most unique amongst my peers traveling on this trip. I actually go to Prairie View A&M University not Texas A&M, but always wanted to study in Europe. Therefore, after doing extensive research I discovered this course and knew I could not let this opportunity pass me by.   After relentlessly working with administrators, professors, and scholarship advisers they finally made it possible for me to partake in this once in a lifetime opportunity.
This will be my first time to Europe and I do not know what to expect.  I have traveled to Nigeria, South Africa, and Dubai but I know Germany will be the most life-altering trip I have taken thus far.  I will be thrown completely out of my comfort zone, as I will be with all new students in a foreign country that speaks a language that I am not familiar with.  It’s rather overwhelming, but also exciting to think that simply a year ago I could not have pictured myself in the position I am now.
My mother keeps me going and helps me remember that I am privileged to have these opportunities at my fingertips. She comes from a small village in Nigeria and hasn’t traveled much since coming to the states.  She often says she couldn’t imagine having these courses available when she attended University. 
This course will help me become more globally knowledgeable in the realm of medicine.  I matriculate into the University of Texas Medical Branch next fall and I know this course will put me a step above, as I will be exposed to foreign medicine and learn the origin of healthcare practices that we use in the states.  These are things that the average medical student does not encounter in their domestic coursework.
Beside academics I know that I will enjoy everything Europe has offer and it still hasn’t registered yet that this trip is really happening.  Germany, Austria, and New Years Eve in Berlin I don’t think any trip can top this one!

No comments: