Monday, July 23, 2012

Our Second Weekend in Praha


The group!

        Prague was a beautiful city.  Coming from Vienna it was a bit of a shock, but it definitely made for a great weekend.  When we first arrived to the train station, I was shocked by all of the Czech words.  To think that German was a confusing language! I missed my German.  I also missed the Euro and the friendliness of the Germans and Austrians.
        We made it to Prague around 7:00pm on Friday.  We were worn out from all of the travelling so getting to Sir Toby’s was an instant relief.  I loved Sir Toby’s.  We were greeted with a warm welcome and the Columbian guy at the front desk began listing all of the different things that the hotel was offering that weekend.  They had everything covered.  We even got free barbecue that night.  Another thing that I loved about the hostel was the diversity of the people living there.  There were people from Spain, Melbourne, Amsterdam, New York, California, and many others.  It was fun to hang out in the pub in the basement and to talk to everyone and find out what brought them to Prague.  The breakfast at Sir Toby’s was spectacular.  I was able to make scrambled eggs and pancakes and I had delicious coffee and fruit and cereal.  It was so wonderful.
The astronomical clock
Charles Bridge
        On Saturday we started the day off with a walking tour through the city.  The Czech Republic has such a different background than most of the western European countries, and it was very interesting.  We then walked over the Charles Bridge and walked up to the castle, where we witnessed a terrific view of the city.  Prague was gorgeous.  Sunday was basically a travel day.  The ten-hour journey back home to Bonn was brutal but we got through it and were ready to be back.
        I absolutely loved Prague.  I thought it was beautiful but I also recognize that it was not a true eastern European city.  In the future I would like to come back to see more of what I only got a glimpse of during our weekend, but I would also like to experience cities like Budapest.

No comments: