Sunday, July 15, 2012

Brot for Elephants


Finally I have made it to Germany!! After a week, I have learned about Germany’s history, language, and culture with the help of Dr. Wasser, Olivia, and all of the students in our group.  Everyone is so nice, both within the group and the people of Germany, especially my host family.

My host mom greeted Meredith and I with big hugs when we first met. We quickly learned she is definitely a “hugger” haha. She is always hugging us hello and good-bye. We also get the pleasure of living with four children. Each of them are very polite and I am so amazed by how much English they know and how well they can communicate with us. One of my host sisters made sure to include me on the family activities the first few days, which was really appreciated. I enjoyed watching movies with the family and hanging out with the younger children. Meredith and I have been trying to get the children to teach us more German and perfect what we already know of the language. This comes in handy when we are doing our German homework!

German class has been very enjoyable. Fenja taught us all the first week basic German so that we can get by easily during our stay. She is a very sweet woman and patient teacher. We are always asking, “How do you say…” and looking for more German words to say, but she always answers us with a smile. I am very thankful for the German class because it has definitely helped all of us. Sometimes I am hesitant to use German words with the natives because of my pronunciation and knowing I do not know many words. However, all the German people I have interacted with have been so kind. It was a little surprising, but everyone is willing to help and is even interested in talking to you and finding out where you are from.  I have come most familiar with the men who run the gelato stores! One of my favorite foods in Bonn is chocolate gelato. I wish I could take some home with me.

Our major excursion this week was to Cologne, or Koln in German. It was one of my favorite parts of this week! I really enjoyed both trips, one to the Koln Zoo and Sports University and the other to the Dom and Elde Haus. At the zoo, I was able to feed a baby elephant! This was so exciting for me, since I want to be a vet and I also love elephants. It’s not everyday that you can say you fed an elephant, and on top of that fed an elephant in Germany! He was a cute baby elephant and was very obedient with the zookeeper when he did certain commands. The good times did not end at the zoo. We had sat in a presentation done by a professor at Koln’s Sports University.  I wish these universities existed in the States. The students have the ability to both study and participate in sports. I wish I had that talent. I love sports and was completely shocked that this type of studying could exist.

When we visited the Koln Dom or Cathedral, I was amazed at its beauty and size. I noticed all the detail that is done with the architecture and design of the building. It seemed amazing that such a huge building was built so long ago. As a Catholic, I really enjoyed spending time in the Cathedral. It was good quiet time after being so busy for the first week. Of course it was awesome to go to the top of the Cathedral! What an amazing view! I never would have thought I would have that experience.

This trip has been full of awesome experiences and gaining so much new knowledge… and it’s only the first week! I look forward to our next week in Vienna! Tschuss!

No comments: