Tuesday, July 24, 2012

A beautiful week in Wien


Before I set foot in Vienna, I had no extreme predilections of what I would think and feel about this city in contrast to the other places that I’ve been to in Europe.  I didn’t know what to expect at all and what I found was extraordinary. Upon our arrival to Vienna from Munich, I was exhausted from a week of acclimating to the rhythm of this program and I feared that I might not be prepared to fully appreciate it’s beauty and history. Fortunately, after a good night’s sleep at the Deutchmeister , a delicious breakfast, and a spontaneous mélange and sacher torte at Café Demel, I knew that Vienna was going to be one of my favorite corners of the world.  I have had a keen interest in the history of medicine since high school and I had a wonderful teacher who instilled in me how instrumental and fulfilling it is to be educated on this section of history. I couldn’t help but think of her as Dr. Wasser guided us through the city, stopping to talk about various “fathers” of bacteriology, toxicology, physiology, and more. As a young person who grew up in such a modernized time, it’s mind boggling and awe inspiring to me when I hear about the people who first inquired, experimented, and spent their lives making progress and discoveries in medicine. I feel so grateful for their works, and challenged to not let myself become stagnant and simply accept everything I learn as concrete knowledge, because who knows what is left to be discovered in medicine? This city that is rooted so deep in the history of Europe, endured the Plague and two world wars still exists as a paradigm of music, medicine, philosophy, and culture, and history, which to me makes Vienna an absolute privilege to experience. I loved visiting the medical school there and hearing the striking differences between the medical education offered there, and the one that I’m pursuing in the states. While I envy their opportunity to streamline into medicine after high school graduation with only an entrance exam, I have to criticize the system in that it doesn’t view a student in a holistic way as American schools do. They’re certainly onto something since they’re matriculation rates are high and they only accept the highest scoring students. Nonetheless, I’m content to continue jumping through flaming hoops to build up my strength as an applicant and work towards my goal of attending medical school and becoming a physician. Walking through the old insane asylum that now holds the wax models was hands down one of the coolest things I’ve ever done. It awakened my curiosity about so many diseases and conditions that have never sparked my interest before, mostly because I haven’t seen many bad diseases right in front of me like that. The models at the Josephinum were equally as fascinating, particularly the obstetric models.  I’m floored by the age of these models and how much detail was known or suspected about the body over 200 years ago. The Freud museum surprised me, mainly because I didn’t know much more about Freud than his stranger theories which puzzle me quite a bit. I was interested to learn about his struggle with his mouth once it became diseased from years of continuous cigar smoking. The fact that he lived with such an invasive prosthesis and continued his work surprised me and made me more curious about him as a person.  Learning Vienna’s history as a civilization, alongside its history in the scope of medicine, accompanied by a daily mélange is what I’d like to call a great week, and I would love to return to Vienna and do it all over again!

No comments: