Thursday, July 05, 2012

Auf Wiedersehen America!

It's my last night in America and I will most definitely be spending it with my parents. I really appreciate this wonderful opportunity they have given me to study abroad. Since I have never travelled abroad, I am both nervous and excited to spend six weeks in a new environment. Traveling with a group of Aggies will make me feel at home in a place so far away from home. I look forward to all the amazing things we will see and experience.

My host family seems very nice and outgoing. It seems like there will always be something going on because she has quite a few children of her own. I hope they all enjoy the gifts I will be bringing for them. I am not too worried about not knowing enough German because my host mother seems to know a lot of English. I hope to brush up on my German skills that Olivia taught us on the plane ride there.

Speaking of the plane, that is probably one of the bigger hurdles for me on this trip. It is such a daunting nine-ish hours... over an ocean... in the dark night. But I know I will have plenty to do. I hope I sleep the majority of the way!

Besides the fact that I know it will be a fun-filled trip with all the traveling and spending time with other students and meeting new people from other countries, I realize we have the opportunity to learn in an amazing environment. I am excited to take this History of Medicine class with Dr. Wasser. With my passion for veterinary medicine and strange interest in school, I know it will be a great experience. I'm eager to learn more about Germany, as well, and how the medical field has been impacted by German history. I have to admit Germany was not my first pick of countries for a study abroad program. However, from our program meetings and small conversations I have had with family and friends, Germany seems like a wonderful place to spend six weeks, even a six weeks full of school work.

The last hurdle that I have been worried about is the length of the trip... the actual six weeks. I have never been gone that long from home so naturally there are nervous emotions. However, I am reminded  from the busy, exciting schedule planned for us that it will be one of the most memorable times of my life. With that, I look forward to having a wonderful experience with everyone. Safe travels!

No comments: