Monday, July 30, 2012

Home Alone in Bonn


Weekend three came and went and it was a beauty. The rest of the group dispersed through Europe and I stayed here in the little town of Bonn. I had an absolutely wonderful time by myself. My weekend started off by waking up in the late morning. I got out of bed and made my self and extravagant breakfast while I lounged on the couch and watched a movie. I got dressed and meet Jooyeon for a late lunch and a little shoe shopping. This elegant and laid-back morning was followed by some self-indulgence at the spa.
Let me start by describing the hotel where my treatment took place, Kameha Grand. I’m pretty sure you have to purchase Stuart Weitzman like they are one-dollar flip-flops to afford to stay there for one night. It blew my mind. I have had the privilege to stay and some pretty spectacular hotels, but nowhere I have ever been, nor ever seen, can touch the Kameha Grand. The hotel was flawless. After the initial shock at the hotel’s stunning beauty, I made it upstairs to the Spa, just to face another knock out. I literally had to pinching myself to make sure I wasn’t in a dream. The ESPA Restorative Mud Envelopment was killer. I was struggling not to go into an unconscious state of peace the whole time. 
 When it was time to go I was stumbling out the door and down the road to the tram trying not to fall asleep as I walked from pure relaxation. I made my way back to the Bonn market to see some pretty cool people. Apparently it was some sort of Anime Appreciation weekend in Germany, happening to be based out of Bonn. It was like I got dropped into the middle of Comic-Conn. It was really cool to see everyone dressed up. Some just in a wig and others in full body paint. I spent the rest of the evening strolling through the market before making it home to eat dinner with my host family.
 Sunday I again woke up late and lounged around the house. I met Morgan, Michelle, and Katherine around one to head to Cologne. In Cologne we planned to go to the Chocolate Museum and stumbled upon an African Festival. There was a large market and tons of street performers. It’s kind of weird to know you are experiencing Africa while in Europe. We made our way through the market to Chocolate Museum. The chocolate museum was a little chunk of heaven for me. When we left we saw next door was the Sport and Olympic Museum of Bonn. Seeing that the Olympics started recently, it only seemed right to stop in. The museum was really neat and we got to sit inside and watch a little bit of the Olympics on EuroLive. Its cool to watch in Germany because you know exactly what is happening, just not what the commentator is saying.
 Overall I had a super-relaxing weekend and really got to appreciate the city and culture, which is harder for me to do when I am so busy trying to hurry and travel so many places. I know it is going to be hard for me to leave Bonn because I feel like it is my home away from home, even as much as I do about College station. Home is where the heart is, and Bonn has a little chunk of mine.

No comments: