Saturday, July 21, 2012

Vienna is so Beautiful!

I've been in Vienna, Austria for 3 days now and I'm about to leave to go see a concert of Beethoven's 5th Symphony! The group got here from Munich a little early and wandered around near the hotel for awhile. We ate at a nice Italian restaurant and then played cards in the lobby. We then took a nice walk through the city and saw some historical sites dating back to WWII. There is an obvious difference in the attitude and atmosphere of Vienna versus Germany or more namely Munich or Cologne just because it seems quainter and more focused on art, music, and beauty. I also think its easier to find people that speak English here and they all seem pretty nice and relaxed. The first night we got here we went to a Viennese cafe called Pfudle where I tried a more "legit" schnitzel than the ones I had in Germany (made with veal, not pork) which was amazing! I'll have to go back to try the strudel...

The 2nd day was another walk around the city, this time putting emphasis on the medical foundations of the place. There is a lot of things medically that took place here! We took a tour of the museum of Vienna to learn about its royalty and city structure (the Emperor Joseph's sister was Marie Antoinette!) One of the most amazing things of the day was the visit to St. Stephan's Cathedral (which looks similar to the Cologne Cathedral....) and then the tour of the Catacombs! We saw where some of the important religious figures and their families coffins were as well as saw real bones from the other people wanting to be buried near the Dom and piles of people that died in the plague. It was really cool! 

On Wednesday we learned all about Siegmund Freud and toured his house J Then we went to one of the palaces that had an art exhibit by Klimt and saw the famous painting “the Kiss”. Thursday was more medical tours like the Vienna Medical School where we learned about the structure of admissions. Then the best part was the Pathological anatomical museum and the Josephinum museum, both of which had anatomical and medical structures that can be learned from. There were really awesome to look at! Then it was anther great Viennese dinner and a Beethoven concert (dress up time!)

....It's now Friday, the last day in Vienna… I’m currently on a train to Prague, Czech Republic for the weekend! This morning we went to the Natural History Museum in Vienna which I loved. In Houston my family and I would go to the Museum of Natural Science at least once or twice a year so it was very neat to see the dinosaur skeletons and most importantly the Venus of Wilcommof (…I like big butts and I cannot lie….. hahaha) This post is longer than my others but we did a lot here this week and I don’t regret an of it! Vienna is so beautiful and, oh yea! Michelle and I got to meet up with our friend Ashley whose also doing a study abroad stationed here in Vienna! It’s been great Austria, peace out!


No comments: