Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Weekend 5

Saturday we went to a fair in downtown Berlin, we ate Berliners (jelly filled doughnuts) and bought leather bracelets. We went shopping for a little bit and then all sat out at a park nearby and laid in the grass and journaled or slept =]. The park was by our hotel and had a big, beautiful fountain in it that reminded of the bath houses in Greece. It definitely the place to be on such a sunny day and it was fun to just people watch for a while. We ate some lunch and then went back to fair and got Crepes! We watched a street performance where a guy and girl acrobat did all of these crazy stunts on a really tall pole. There was an international beer festival going on that weekend in Berlin and we checked it out for a while. On Sunday we went back because they were planning on attempting to break the record for the world’s longest beer garden! They had beer from all over the world there and we all decided we liked the flavored African beer the best, the coconut in particular for me! We were sitting at one of the tables when they walked by with the official measuring stick to record how long it was so technically we were a part of the longest beer garden in the world! It was so much fun; I don’t think we have anything like it in the US. Two other girls and I eventually had to go back to the hotel and grab our suitcases to start the journey home. Luckily they were with me because it was a long one. We took an 8pm train from Berlin to the Frankfurt Airport that got in around 1am. And then we had 10 hours to kill in the airport before our 11am flight! Luckily the terminal was open and we took turns sleeping and watching the luggage. I felt like such a backpacker. We got some last minute souvenirs and finally boarded the plane for our 10 hour flight! I was really sad to leave Germany; I definitely could have stayed longer. But it was an amazing experience and I’m so happy I did it. And now I know a bunch of people in my major a lot better than last year!

No comments: