Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Much Ado About Munich (Weekend 4)

Finishing getting caught up on rest was definitely the theme of the Munich weekend. Even after the relatively easy week before, I was still extremely worn out at this point and needed to get caught up on sleep. Since Munich was the only weekend trip with no definite plans, it seemed like a great place to just relax for the weekend. Though we saw almost everything I wanted to see, we spent the vast majority of our time at a relatively easy pace. All in all, it was just what I needed.

The most time-consuming activity of the weekend was definitely the Munich Zoo. Compared to the Cologne Zoo we had seen the week before, this one seemed much more natural. Te exhibits were set up in such a way to replicate the animal's natural environment, and I think that the zoo really did a great job in this regard. The zoo itself was actually quite large and was almost definitely bigger than the Cologne Zoo. I guess that's another point for Munich. There were a really large number of animals, but the exhibit the zoo was most proud of was the Polar Bears. There were two of these animals, and I was able to get right up to the glass within about two feet of the actual bears. However, we actually spent a lot more time watching the seals and an enclosure of animals that we called "the awkward animal exhibit". Among other strange animals, this area even had an albino emu. It was definitely something you don't see often.

Along with the zoo, we spent a large amount of time in typical Bavarian fashion, at the Hofbrauhaus. The giant brewery was notable most for it's size. It wasn't just the building that was big (and completely packed) either. The beer mugs were massive. I had always assumed that liter jugs of beer were just an American myth, but I was proved very wrong. Finally, a stereotype that's got some ground to it. The Hofbrauhaus was also exciting for it's culture. Though it seemed a bit tourist-driven, the waiters were all clothed in typical Bavarian dress and there was even a brass band playing stereotypically German tunes. It was definitely a good time for everyone.

Though I'd love to say that I spent all my free time exploring the city and immersing myself in the culture, this wasn't completely the case. As I said before, this weekend was largely about relaxation, and so me and the rest of my group spent a plenty large chunk of our time in the hotel. We had booked a Holiday Inn, and it was very nice compared to our past weekend accommodations. I took this chance to enjoy a bed with multiple pillows and even get in some exercise at the small gym. The exercise bike ended up being very important for me this weekend. I've missed my bike from home a lot, so it was nice to get to ride even if I wasn't actually going anywhere. As a whole, Munich ended up being a relaxing change of pace to my constantly hectic schedule. By the time the break was over, I was feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the next leg of the program in Vienna.

No comments: