Monday, August 15, 2011

homeopathy?

When I heard our guest lecturer was a homeopath, I didn't know what to expect. I had no idea what a homeopath was. The only clue was that, weather permitting, we would be getting lectured at the botanical gardens which only added to the mystery.

As it turns out, homeopathy is an alternative form of medicine which focuses on the use of properties of plants, animals, and minerals to remedy problems people are having based on the idea the like cures like. I must admit, I was surprised to be hearing about things like the essences of plants and how the properties of a plant like a cactus can be used to cure anything from a headache to a tenseness in the muscles. As someone whose only ever learned western medicine, I couldn't help but think, why not just give them medicine?

But the interesting thing is that this form of treatment is actually covered in Germany's health care. In the United States I imagine it would be considered a new age fad, even though the use of plants in medicine has been used longer that any antibiotics. So I tried to keep an open mind as we walked through the botanical gardens and our lecturer told us about the different uses for different plants.

At the end of the trip, I still don't know if I would put that much weight behind homeopathy. But my mind was definitely opened to the idea of it. Clearly, we don't understand everything about medicine and the human body, and even if homeopathy works as a placebo effect, if it works for some people then who am I to criticize. Ultimately, I was really glad to have the opportunity to learn a little more about other views on medicine. The coarse after all is called a History of Medicine so it seems only fair that we learn about all approaches to medicine and not stay in the confines of what we are used to. I may not be a converted believer, but at least I'm aware of the approach and it's potential.

No comments: