Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Interlaken

I spent my second weekend in Europe in Interlaken, Switzerland. It was absolutely amazing. I’m so glad I went. There are no words to describe how utterly gorgeous it was there and the pictures just can’t do it justice. I had a great time.
There were only five of us that went and I think that made everything so much easier. It was so much less stress and it was just plain relaxing, like a great vacation should be. My heels were bothering me a bit Friday night when we got there and were pretty swollen so I was seriously considering not going canyoning. I got up Saturday morning, though, and they weren’t too swollen they didn’t hurt too horribly bad so I went.
It was an absolute blast. The company we did it with picked us up at our hostel so we didn’t have to walk all the way there and they guy that picked us up was also one of our guides during the canyoning. I went with Josh and Andrew while Carrie and Michelle did their own thing. We ended up meeting a few guys from Abilene Christian University which was pretty awesome. We seem to be meeting Texans everywhere.
We went on the full day course so basically, after the first jump, you were in the canyon and there was no turning back. It was so much fun. It kind of reminded me of a really hardcore waterpark, only natural. It was great. Certifiably insane but great. And they fed us at the end of it all too which we definitely needed. I was starving by the end of it. I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited for a sandwich and a beer.
Then we went back to the hostel to take a shower. Carrie had decided to go hang gliding and Michelle went with her. Our plan was to walk through town and meet up with Michelle so that she wouldn’t have to sit alone until Carrie got done hang gliding but we never found her and the three of us ended up spending the evening walking through Interlaken and stopping in the occasional chocolate or outdoors shop before going back to the hostel and completely crashing. It was really nice and relaxing.
The next morning we got up and just sort of hung around for a bit. We ate breakfast together and then Carrie, Michelle, and I went outside and sat next to this amazing lake that was right outside of our hostel. It was so beautiful. Not to mention I got to sit there with my feet in the cold water that felt so very good.

Then we all walked to the train station and took a tram up the side of this mountain to a restaurant that was perched up there. The view was pretty spectacular. We just sort of hung around for a bit before we went back down and got on our train back to Bonn. It was just so relaxing, peaceful, and beautiful. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. Much better than Paris.

We got back early in the evening and I went back to my host family’s to eat dinner there. I had dinner with my host mom and a couple of her friends before we watched the USA v. Japan world cup finals game. USA lost. You could argue that they needed the win more than we did though.

No comments: