Monday, August 15, 2011

Patriotism at it's finest

I must admit, when we first started talking about painting up for the world cup game on Wednesday, I figured it was just talk. But the day before the game we went into Cologne for a day trip and we decided to go on the hunt for some body paint and any other patriotic items we could find. After all, how many times do you get the chance to cheer on the USA women's world cup team in person while they play in Germany?

It was a bit more difficult than we thought to find body paint though. There are no superstores where you can get just about anything you want, so we needed to find a specialty store and we weren't gonna find one in Bonn. Luckily we found out that there is a place in Cologne that sells it, but we didn't know the name of the place or where it would be in the city. The way the city is arranged (or at least the part we visited, which seemed a bit more touristy or like a shopping district) there are tons of shops everywhere. Sort of like the street is a hallway in a mall, with restaurants and banks and stuff all mixed in. It took us a while to find the place we were looking for, a costume/party store that had all sorts of fun things like flags, hats, funny socks, and lucky for us body paint. So plan Crazy American Fan was a go :)

Unfortunately Wednesday morning was a bit cold and I am sorry to admit, but I am a pansy when it comes to the weather. However, I still went to the AIB early on Wednesday to get ready for the game. I decided I probably couldn't handle the full on paint, since I would only last about 30 minutes before pulling my jacket back on to get rid of the goose bumps, so I painted around my t-shirt with stars and stripes. It was so tame compared to the other painters! They looked truly fantastic, even painting their faces blue with stars! When we got to the game, random people wanted to take pictures with our group of patriots. I did in fact get cold and put on my jacket, but the rest of the painted group stayed warm by cheering and it paid off. After an exciting, but nerve racking 2nd half, the United States girls won it! It was such a fantastic experience to see a game at the stadium and for our team to win. Even though I ended up bundled up, it was an awesome night that I won't forget.

No comments: