Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Byes in Berlin (Week 5)

This week was definitely an exciting end to an amazing five weeks in Europe. Though I was ready to be home by the end of the week, the week DID seem to go by at lightning speed, and I wish I could have dragged it out perhaps a bit longer. The sped up sense of time was probably mostly due to the sheer amount of activities I did this week. I was kept busy throughout the entire week. It'd be just about impossible to claim that I didn't make the most out of the remaining time I had. Berlin was the perfect setting for the end of our trip. The unique history of the city and tons of things to see were incredibly impressive. Even more amazing to me was the fact that all of this was contained within a city with a very real business economy outside of the tourist industry. I can certainly respect Berlin for this. What an amazing city.
The best way to really know a city is to get out and see it yourself. I can't think of a better way to do this than on bike. I was very excited about our Berlin bike tour since I really missed riding at this point, and it didn't disappoint. Though the skies were pouring down rain for a large portion of the tour, that didn't stop me from having a blast. In many ways, the rain even made the ride more fun...or at least more exciting. I might have disagreed with this statement at a couple times during the tour when the wet cold was getting to me, but for the most part it was a great experience. The main point of the tour was obviously to acquaint the group with the city and see the main sights. Though I saw entirely too much to list, the big standouts to me were the Berlin Wall and the Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe. The wall is such an iconic symbol that seeing it in real life really put things into perspective for me. It's easy to forget what life was like in the past and not learn from our mistakes, and this was the stark reminder I needed. I guess the same could be said about the Memorial for the Murdered Jews of Europe. Though I can say that I almost certainly didn't understand the memorial in the same way as it's creator, it evoked very real feelings for me and I believe I was able to get a lot out of it.
The Institute for Molecular Medicine was another high point of the week. Being a biomedical engineering major, this was especially exciting for me. The research which the scientists were doing in their various fields was really fascinating and gave me a sense of what it means to be a medical researcher today. The real draw for me, however, were the MRI machines. I had never actually seen one used outside of television shows but was always interested. To get the chance to see and learn about such impressive devices was an awesome opportunity. I especially liked the demonstrations at the end showing the sheer power of the magnets. This day was definitely a big push for me towards the medical imaging track of biomedical engineering. I may even decide to take the MRI lab class at A&M the next time it is available to me.

When visiting Dresden, the Hygiene Museum seemed to be a favorite for everyone, myself included. Not only was it one of the most interesting museums I've ever been to, it was certainly the most interactive. We started off the visit to the main exhibition with an assignment of groups. The museum was divided into numerous sections, and each group was required to give a small presentation on their section in which they gave an overview and then explanation on specific exhibits. My group was assigned "movement", and I chose to explain a device which measured force produced by the legs. The presentations were non stressful, and everything seemed to go quite well. The main pull of the museum was not these presentations but was instead the "mind" section. This room had a number of really neat activities which attempted to fool the brain into thinking things that were obviously not true (optical illusions of sorts). The coolest device by far was the brain game in which participants were given headbands to measure electrical activity. Basically, it was a contest to see who could think the least and clear their mind. Seeing the little, metal ball rolling from side to side to indicate who was ahead was actually really exciting. I felt like I was watching a legitimate sport.

Though I'm sad that the program is ending, I think it's definitely time to go home. I'm missing the standard American customs that I have always been used to as well as (and to a greater extent) my friends and family. I'm gonna love going back to free water at restaurants for sure. This trip has been a real eye opener into European culture for me. Not only do I feel like I learned a lot about the history of medicine, I also feel like I learned at least a bit about myself. I made some great friends along the way too, and I'll always be thankful for everyone that shared this experience with me. It was truly a blessing. Hopefully I'll be able to visit Europe again when I'm a little older perhaps. Until then...Thanks, and gig 'em!

No comments: