Thursday, August 25, 2011

Weekend 2

This weekend I took the train to Duesseldorf to meet up with some friends from middle school, talk about taking a trip into the past. Beatrice and Veronica were two of my best friends and I hadn't seen them since the last time I visited Duesseldorf three years ago, but when I stepped off the train and saw them it was like no time had passed. Except we all looked a lot older- I guess the late nights and stress of college does that to you. We went to the Kirmes festival which happens every year on the Rheine, it's a traveling outdoor festival with a lot of rides, food and beer. There were loads of people there of all ages walking around and having a blast. We only went on a couple rides and ate some dough balls filled with strawberries and covered in vanilla sauce- yum! And then we met up with another childhood friend and saw the latest Harry Potter, in english =] I was surprised by how many people were in the english showing, it was packed. The next day we all grabbed lunch and caught up on the last three years, Beatrice is going to university in LA but the other two stayed in europe. Veronica goes to a private university in Ireland were they're required to wear uniform and Philippa is at one in London where running into British movie starts is a frequent occurrence. They were all surprised that my accent wasn't more reminiscent of old western flicks which made me laugh. It was strange to be back in a town I had lived in for so long. Strange in how normal I felt there, at home. Everywhere my head turned was something familiar that brought back memories long locked away in my brain somewhere previously out of reach. I took the train back to Bonn, skyped some friends from back home and then met up with some other students from the program at a local bar to see USA vs. Japan in the Womens World Cup soccer final!! Such a close game, we only lost in shootouts when we had dominated every other aspect of the game. All of the Germans at the bar kept saying that with how many things Japan has gone through recently they needed the win more, I see what they mean but I still would have like USA to have won. It was a great and relaxing weekend, much different from the hectic one last weekend but both good in their own respects =]

No comments: