Wednesday, June 21, 2006

So close I can taste it!!

I am very ready to leave and start my traveling! Chrissy and I leave in 4 days... we are leaving Houston Sunday, 25 at 3:40. I am leaving college station Friday to tie up so loose ends before I leave. Chrissy and I are going into London for a day then flying to Faro, Portugal then taking a bus to Lagos. I was told that this was "the beach" to go to for the younger crowd. I know I live a rough life having to lay on the beach all day... but someone has to do it! Then Chrissy and I will make our way to Madrid then Barcelona. Then we will be flying to meet everyone on the 3rd. Hopefully my fathers contacts come through and Chriss and I will be staying in a condo :)

So enough with my plans... I will tell you about my frame of mind going into this trip. I am a myspacer... it is addicting and dumb but o well... if you visit my myspace page you will see that all over I say two things over and over... 1) I want to get my MD/PhD and 2) I want to travel around the world. Well when I was driving home for fathers day I was thinking and pondering about that which is my life. I came to the realization that although my life is by no means perfect I really have nothing to complain about. The two things I want most in my life are coming true and my only dilemma is now I need to find new goals. At the time it was one week until I left to go travel around Europe and the whole MD/PhD is looking very good. So I could not be more ready to leave and fulfill a dream.

But of course I have my reservations about leaving. I love my friends and I will be leaving a few really close friends who I see everyday, that will be hard. Also I will miss my cat and her waking me up at 5:30 to kick me off my pillow and sleep on it. But I am not a home body and I have never been home sick... unless you count sick of being at home, home sick. I have traveled before and I feel my parents have raised me to be more of a worldly person than the most Americans, so it will be interesting to see how I will grow in this whole experience. I am also excited to see how Chrissy will change, as she is one of my best friends I am glad that we will be sharing this experience together. I will also miss Mexican food... I love and eat it all the time, so you can bet that when the 'rents pick Chrissy and I up from the airport on the Aug 5th we will head to the nearest Mexican food restaurant. My biggest concern though is that since I have lived in the south all my life the only other language I know is Spanish, broken Spanish that is just enough to get me in trouble. I am worried that when I do not understand what people are saying I am going to revert to Spanish... which will make the look dumb because they are going to look at me and think..."Ok that is still not German."

I also have other reasons that make me wish I would of left yesterday... it will do me good to be across the pond for awhile. I am looking forward to (for lack of a better phrase) running away from everything that hopefully will sort themselves out while I am away and if they don't at least I will get to get away for a moment.

So I'm off to start packing... this will take awhile because I do NOT know the meaning of "light packing" and always feel the need to take everything I own which can fill up two full sized closets... I love clothes and do not know how I will narrow down what to bring!! I will see everyone in Germany and good luck with your flights!

No comments: