Saturday, August 17, 2013

Week 5.5 – The End


It has finally come; this is my last blog from Germany. We just recently had our last dinner together and now have gone our separate ways. Most of us will go home, but a few will stay for a few more days on our own. I’m part of the second group and I still have mixed feelings about it. This week for the most part was a very interesting one. For our last week we were in Berlin, which was a great city to end our program on.
Monday we arrived midday from Rome. It was definitely a great relief to be back in Germany because Italy was terrible. The Italian people were rude and unhelpful. To start off our final week we had our traditional city tour, which was the best one out of all of them. I think it was mostly interesting because Sion was a great tour guide who actually tried to make his tour enjoyable. Also, the fact that we were in Berlin and had significant things to see helped a lot too.
Tuesday was split in half, as far as fun and interesting went. The Reichstag tour for the most part was extremely boring. The only thing that saved it was the Parliament room and the glass dome. Our tour guide spoke too softly and only showed us three main things. The rest of her tour was about how things used to be and not what changed and physically left behind. However, the Sachsenhausen concentration camp was very insightful and interesting. It was amazing to hear and see what the Nazis did to people in those camps. Most of the stuff was terrible to the point of being overly morally wrong. I don’t know how some of the guards and soldiers could live with themselves after the stuff they did to other people. I think the worse thing I saw was in the basement of the medical barracks. There was a room used as a dissecting area, which was later changed into a kitchen. Just the thought of that is horrible. When I first heard everything it was astonishing, but when I left it finally hit me and became a little depressing realizing what they put the people through.
Wednesday was another fun day. We visited the Medical Learning Center and got to play with some of the simulators they had and actually learn. After leaving the center I now know what it feels like to have a tremor and how to intubation on a model. If I decide to go to medical school I hope a center like that exists at my school because it seemed to be very useful and practical. After the learning center we moved down the street to the museum, which was small. However, again the guide added to the experience by being a well-spoken and interesting person. You could tell he enjoyed his job by how he explained the information to us. At one point I think he was a little too happy about his job. He was too excited to tell us about the bladder stone removal than he should have been. The last thing of the day was a lecture by Dr. Wasser over Rudolf Virschow.  It was rough getting through that last lecture because we knew how close to the end we were, but the information itself was fascinating as usual.
Thursday was probably the biggest waste of time every. I did not enjoy this day at all. I would have rather had a free day in Berlin then go back there. The kidney center was more of a tour of the buildings then it was of the clinics themselves. I think that was the worst designed hospital I’ve seen. They had rolling beds traveling between buildings and through basement tunnels. Just the kidney center was in three buildings connected by tunnels and other poorly designed walkways. Then came the pharmacy museum. I thought the Beethoven house was small until I went to this place. The entire museum was in three small rooms with a couple cases in each. I think the highlight of the museum was when we go to make tea and play with the pill press. I’m almost entirely sure I didn’t retain anything worthwhile from that place. The final nail in the coffin was the city tour. Taking a tour of Leipzig is like taking a tour of Bryan. There was about four main buildings to see and all in a one mile, if that far, radius of the center. At the end of the day Leipzig had no chance in my book because of the lack of worthwhile things.
Friday was our last day of program and for some the last day in Germany. However, it ended on a great note thanks to the Otto Bock center. It was a beautiful and futuristic place. Otto Bock is the leading manufacture of prosthetic limbs, which is exactly the type of business I want to get into. The museum was only three stores, but it had an artistic feel to it so that its sparse layout didn’t matter. It was just beyond words to explain for me, that’s how much I liked and enjoyed it. When dinnertime came around we all dressed up for our last meal together. We all had a delicious Moroccan dish, talked about how we first met, and everything we liked on the program. It was a wonderful and sad time for all of us. We knew it was time to go back home to the States, but we also knew we would miss our second home in Germany.
It truly has been a wonderful time studying abroad, learning about Germany medical history, and visiting many historical places. It has been a life changing experience for me and it’s thanks to a great professor and program coordinator. Dr. Wasser and Olivia did a fantastic job being our mentors for the last six weeks. Without them this program wouldn’t exist, so they deserve a lot of credit for all the things we did. Dr. Wasser, you are an amazing professor, role model, mentor, and encyclopedia. Thank you for everything you have done. Olivia, thank you for being the worlds best scheduler and coordinator because without you we definitely would’ve been lost multiple times, as well as not have tickets for anything.  
Well, Germany I’ve had a great time and I hope some day I get to come back and experience even more that you have to offer. However, the States are calling me back and it’s about time I answer and head back home. Thanks for the great life experience…

No comments: