Sunday, August 04, 2013

Bonn, Hannover, and Norderney! Oh my!


After nine days of travel, it was nice to finally be back in Bonn, even if it was only for a short while. Monday's class was about anesthesiology, to prepare us for the museum visit the next day. It's interesting to learn about the change in the perception of pain, how it used to be viewed as good, even necessary.
Monday night, we visited the Haribo factory, which was great! I definitely stocked up on a lot of candy. Then we had movie night, where we watched the Lives of Others. I have to admit, I went into that movie not expecting much but it was really good. It gave a very informative view into what life was like in Eastern Germany, and it held my attention through the length of the whole movie. Tuesday began with the visit of the anesthesiology museum. It was amazing to see all the different exhibits. There was a lot more there than I expected when I first saw the small size of it. We were supposed to have a soccer tournament Tuesday afternoon, but due to the rain we went bowling in the states. It was really fun, and it reminded me of home. 
Wednesday we set out for Hannover. Travel always makes me tired, so I was a little worried I'd be sleepy for our other activities. However they were so interesting, I didn't even have time to be tired. The visit of the MHH was fantastic, and it was awesome to talk to real cardiac patients. Then the visit of the axolotl research center was also really cool. I think it's really fascinating that they are researching the axolotl regeneration abilities in hopes of applying that to humans. 
Wednesday, travel began even earlier than the day before as we made our way to Norderney, and island in the north coast of Germany. I was really excited to go hiking in the mudflats, and it was even better than I expected. We saw jellyfish, birds, crabs, and worms. After that, we had a nice dinner with a view, and then headed to the beach to watch the sunset. So beautiful. Woke up the next morning to go on a bike tour of the island. It was interesting to learn about he biodiversity of the island. After that, we headed to the clinic, which seemed more like a spa. I knew beforehand about these German spas, but it was really cool to actually see the scientific backings for what they are doing. I also really enjoyed that we got to play some basketball and climb a rock wall. After that we caught the ferry back to the mainland, and our week was over! It was a little crazy with all the traveling but I loved every minute of it!

No comments: