Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Norderney and Hannover


After getting in late from Prague, we headed to class for an early Monday morning!  On a positive note, our afternoon consisted of a trip to the Haribo factory store.  I think I've sent my bad overweight due to the amount of gummy bears I bought!  Then we had a pizza and movie night with Mira.  It was a great evening to relax and rest after a busy ten days traveling.  The movie was also really good!  It brought a different perspective to what I know about the Berlin Wall.  We often only hear about things from the perspective of the West, but it's interesting to think about life from the view of an East German.

After spending two days in Bonn, we headed to Hannover and Norderney.  The week was busy and exhausting, but we saw and did a lot!  I really enjoyed our trip to Hannover.  I was thrilled with our visit to the University of Hannover Medical School.  It was a once in a lifetime experience to get to talk with the doctors in the ward, as well as talk to the patients!  We never would have been able to get that close to patients in the United States.  They were incredibly personable and I was completely impressed with their positive outlooks.  It was interesting to learn about how the protocol for transplants differs in Germany versus in the States.  I can’t imagine having to wait in the hospital for eight to ten months for a heart, putting my friends, family, and life on hold.  Our visit to the University of Hannover Medical School was probably one of my favorite things we’ve done so far. 
           
On Thursday, we headed to Norderney for a busy two days! I never imagined that I would be mudfluthiking on the Island Norderney this summer.  I have always been interested in Marine Biology, so it was neat to get to learn a little more about the marine life and conservation efforts going on there.  I’ve even looked into getting a masters degree in Marine Biology from A&M-Galveston.  Thursday evening in Norderney was probably one of my favorite nights we’ve had on the program so far.  Hanging out on the beach with everyone while the sun was setting was something I’ll never forget.  On Friday, I really enjoyed our time at the IFR Clinic.  There is an emphasis in Germany on wellness and healing that isn’t quite as prevalent in the U.S.  We had a blast climbing the rock wall and playing knock-out basketball, and learning about how activities like these can truly help your patients.
           
Now headed to Amsterdam for the weekend!

No comments: