Saturday, August 10, 2013

Week 5-Part 1


As it turns out it was very nice to have a relaxing weekend in Bonn, although it doesn’t make for very exciting blog material. On Saturday, I took a little road trip to watch some baseball. The weather was great and the first of the two games exciting. It was nice to spend the day on something completely American; they even sang “Take Me Out to the Ball Game.” On Sunday I went to Schloss Drachenburg just outside of Bonn. This structure, somewhere between a castle, villa, and mansion was built in the 19th century. It was originally intended to be the builder’s residence but he never actually lived there. Since it’s construction it has served many different purposes, from a summer resort to a Nazi elite school. The castle is now a historical site and has been returned to its original state. The interior of the castle was beautifully ornate and I really enjoyed taking a tour complete with hidden doors.

It’s hard to believe that this will be our last week in Bonn. I have grown very fond of Bonn, and I will be sad to leave it. In my opinion, it has been the perfect environment for our study abroad experience. The public transportation system makes it easy to get around and the city is just the right size such that it is relatively easy to navigate and learn where things are. I will miss walking to the market from class to grab a bratwurst and some fresh fruit, H&M, and a variety of other little things. Most of all I will miss the people we have met. My host family has been absolutely wonderful, and I definitely plan on visiting them in the future. These few weeks have gone by so quickly with all of the traveling we have been doing that I wish I had had more time to spend with my host family. Looking forward to our last few days in Bonn. Until next time. 

No comments: