Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Last Week in Bonn!


Where has the time gone??  This was our last week in Bonn with our host families and at the AIB.  I’ve really come to view Bonn as a home, and it’s a nice break from all the tourist cities that we visit on the weekends.  This week, we visited the Cologne Zoo on Monday.  I love zoos, so I absolutely enjoyed our visit!  Feeding the giraffes and then getting to see the inside of the elephant enclosure were by far two of my favorite things. 

On Tuesday, we got to go to the University Clinics in Bonn and watch surgeries!  I was with an anesthesiologist, which was interesting because it’s not a doctor that you typically have the opportunity to shadow.  I have only ever seen anesthesiologist while in the OR, so I learned a lot by getting to watch how they prepare patients for surgery as well as how they are involved in recovery.  I also saw the beginning of a shoulder replacement.  I noticed several differences in the atmosphere of an operating room in Germany versus that of one in the States.  The surgeons and technicians seemed to be much more relaxed, but there also didn’t seem to be any sense of urgency.  It seemed like it took significantly longer to start surgery and to get patients in and out of the operating room.  Wednesday was the Rhine Cruise and tour of the Hildegard Museum and castle.  As we’ve traveled around Europe, I’ve started to realize that the Rhine Valley is one of the most beautiful places around.  Crawling through dark tunnels and exploring the castle was also lots of fun, and most certainly something I will never forget! 

Wednesday night my host family prepared a great meal for our last night in Bonn.  We all sat outside in the garden and had a fantastic time.  I have truly loved my host family.  They have been incredibly welcoming and I’ve always felt at home in their house.  I haven’t gotten to spend as much time as I would’ve liked with them, but we had some great conversations and I’ve learned a lot from them.  It was a great experience and I am beyond thankful to have had the opportunity to live with the Colditz family for five weeks! 

No comments: