Sunday, August 04, 2013

Week 4 – 2/3 Done


All I can say after this Amsterdam experience is that I’m glad to be going back to Bonn for a week. I have mixed feelings about Amsterdam as a whole. The daytime experience and life was perfectly normal, but the second nighttime came around the city changed completely. All the strange people started coming out of the creepy alleys and trying to sell you things you never knew they could sell on the street.
              As usual we came in late Friday night and immediately went to check into the hostel and settle down. I was planning on falling asleep early in preparation for the Anne Frank House, however that was a fail because about an hour into lying down the group bothered me. Therefore, instead of sleeping I made an interesting adventure to the red light district. We had to ask at least three times where the street was. If I could go back now I definitely would’ve stayed asleep. The red light district was on the brink of traumatizing, I practically ran through the streets just to say I had been there. I didn’t feel comfortable again until I saw the hostel, it didn’t help that we also passed through the homosexual district during gay pride week.
            The gay pride parade was actually and interesting point about Saturday. Saturday was the conclusion of the festival so we got to see a very flamboyant parade. Along with the flamboyant parade came the not so commonly half dressed men walking around expressing their sexual preference wearing not so manly garments. Also on Saturday, we went to the Rijks museum because it had recently been reopened after a ten-year remodel. Not to hate too much on it, but I don’t know who remodeled that museum because had they not given me a map I would have been lost multiple times. Even with the map I got lost once and somehow exited the museum. Luckily I was able to show my ticket again and reenter and continue what was seemingly a scavenger hunt. Apart from the terrible layout the museum was quite enjoyable and large. Out of the entire museum I’d have to say my favorite exhibit was the arms collection. It was a large room full of old pirate like pistols and cannons. To narrow it down even more, my favorite piece was a gun that was about two and a half feet long with a pistol grip on it.  I don’t know if you are supposed to mount it to a ship or free hand hold it. All I know is that if you had to free hand hold it you probably hardly ever hit anything.
            Sunday was more of a relaxing day because we didn’t get up until about 10 o’clock. I think for the most part we all slept in due to the fact that every other day on this trip we’ve been getting up earlier than 8. It was finally time to get a late start to a day and get a full night sleep. Also, Amsterdam really didn’t have as much to see as I was expecting. They had a number of museums, but none really seemed to constitute a visit by me. Instead of more museums we decided to do a little shopping around the main square and Heineken experience building. I think I’ve officially got a gift for everyone I needed to, except for my dad. I got three different pieces from the royal delftware store for the ladies in my life, grandma, mom, and girlfriend. I also got a few things from the Heineken store for my brother. The only person left on my list is my main financial contributor and greatest father ever. It’s extremely hard to pick for him though, so hopefully I come up with something good sooner rather than later. I’ve got about two more weeks by myself with the program, then a week with my parents. The end of the program is closing in fast, but until then I will have a few more blogs. So…until next time.

No comments: