Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Amsterdam!


We arrived in Amsterdam late Friday night and headed to our hostel.  This weekend was the Gay Pride Parade in Amsterdam, so there was quite an interesting stream of people out and about.  On Friday night, we all walked to the Red Light District.  It was an interesting sight, and something I never need to go see again!  On Saturday, we went and visited the Rijk’s Museum.  The museum was a mix of art, history, and special exhibits.  I really enjoyed learning more about Dutch history and how the art in the region transformed as the ruling governments and society changed. 

On Sunday, we got up and visited the Anne Frank house.  We’ve been learning about the Holocaust and World War II in relation to medicine throughout this course, but I felt that this was the most emotional experience I’ve had so far.  The museum really adds a personal element to the Holocaust.  It did a good job of bringing the story of Anne Frank to life and making it seem real versus something we just learn about in a history book.  I read the Diary of Anne Frank in middle school, but I don’t think I grasped how awful and horrible Anne Frank’s story was.  Being in the house she hid in for two years brought a whole new level of reality to her story.  Amsterdam was a beautiful city, with canals, boats, and good food, but it’s time to head back to Bonn! 

No comments: