Sunday, August 04, 2013

Prague: Where the Currency Makes Less Sense than the Language


With the train from Vienna to Prague not having any switchovers, we got there without any problems and even in a nicely air-conditioned railroad car! After getting to Prague, we converted some Euros to Crowns and then went to go and get a temporary rail ticket so that we could get to the hostel. That was an experience to say the least. We realized that we had not gotten enough money through exchanging Euros, had to get more from the ATM, and then once we got money, had to put it into the machine to get our ticket. The machine would frustratingly not take any of my change, and we ended up getting a ticket from a very sketchy looking guy. I will never know if that ticket was valid, but it got us to the right hostel nonetheless so that it all that matters.
             Immediately upon seeing Prague and entering the hostel I could tell that I was going to like it. The city itself gives off an old feeling of importance and history with its cobblestone streets and worn brick building. The hostel was extremely welcoming, with the man at the front being extremely easy going and informative, making us feel comfortable. Upon hearing my last name of Parizek, he responded with “Hey that’s Czech!” and said he new a guy in a good band with the last name Parizek. There aren’t many Parizeks in the world, so I sincerely hope that I am related to that one.
            After getting some sleep on Friday night, I woke up early on Saturday and walked around Old Town with Susannah and Chris, which was on the other side of Charles Bridge from where our hostel was located. The bridge, which is absolutely jam packed with people and vendors during the day, is very long going over the Vtalva River, and has many nicely carved statues on it. Once across the Bridge, you definitely know why it is called Old Town: the buildings have a genuine antique look about them and you get the feeling that they have been there a very long time. We went to a few shops and saw most of the major tourist landmarks along the way, including the Astronomy Tower, the Prague National Theatre (where Mozart performed), and many beautiful churches. Chris and I ate a delicious lunch that included some sort of potato salad, a huge sausage, and bread…it was legitimately the first meal since being here that I have not been able to finish. Upon coming back and meeting up with the others, we trekked our way to the Prague Castle. I purposely say trek because it was definitely not an easy journey. Being on a steep incline on the same cobblestone roads and sidewalks as the rest of the city, it made for a good workout (it also didn’t help that the sun was shining with all of its might and the temperatures were in the 90’s). We made it though, and were able to walk around the exceptionally big castle. I would normally associate this type of expansive structure with the word “palace,” but it was fit for royalty nonetheless. Following the castle and cathedral, we walked uphill some more to the Strahov Monastery, which is known for brewing beer since the 1100’s. The beer was very delicious and much needed! That night before going to bed, I walked across the bridge and along the Vtalva River until I got to the “Dancing House,” which was one of the most unique buildings that I have ever seen. Its architecture is very curvy and abnormal, drawing attention from anyone who passes by. Walking along the river and viewing at the Prague Castle at night was definitely worth the walk as well.
            Although Prague was a short trip, I am very glad that I chose to go there for the free weekend. Not only did I get to go to the country where a lot of my family comes from, but I got see some of the most beautiful sites that I have experienced so far. 

No comments: