Saturday, January 12, 2013


When I arrived in the Frankfort airport I could not really believe that I was in a different country. Everything being in German did make it more believable though. The first night was pretty relaxed as we went to a really good German restaurant. The next day while touring a hospital we got to look onto a shoulder surgery which would have been exciting enough, however the doctor I was with needed an extra set of hands and decided that those of a jet-lagged, sleep-deprived college kid would suffice. I scrubbed in and held some big hooks to keep the incision open. The surgeon gave me a red mass to hold that he had pulled out of the wound which I soon found was the head of the humerus which had broken clean off. I can only imagine what the unconscious patient would have said had he known some undergraduate had helped operate on him. It was quite the experience that I won’t soon forget.
As I walk through the streets of Bonn I find it to be touristy and filled with the commercial-capitalist designs if a West German city. The architecture is spectacular as is often the case in Europe. The cobblestone paths that lead around the town are lined with striking contrast of retail and historical sites. Beethoven’s house for example is a remarkably unremarkable apartment crammed between clothing stores marked with nothing more than a plaque. If you didn’t know what to look for you would walk right passed it.
Bonnian nightlife is a bit slow, however it is a relatively small town and it should be expected. I can only imagine what it will be in Berlin, a city, like New York, famed for never sleeping.

No comments: